Sunday, April 20, 2014

Life.. Even naming your child is so simple in India.

In my previous post I told you how easily we could name my daughter Srushti..
But thats not so easy everywhere in the world.

In Denmark if you want to name your child, you can select the name only from an approved list of names which has around 7000 names in it. If you want to name your child with any name out of the list, you have to get it approved from the church and the government.

In China they have many characters in their script (nearly 70000 of them) but you can name your child using only those characters that can be entered in a computer. And also it is not considered right to name the child by the names of ancient heroes and kings.

New zealand has a list of banned names.

Sweden and Norway also has regulations on the name of the new born.

Germany has a list of approved names for both girls and boys and any name out of the list needs an approval by the Standesamt. The German law has two conditions for the name of a child: 1) The name of the child must reflect the sex of the child and 2) It must  not endanger the well-being of the child.

Many countries have a justification for the bans and regualtions, that they are made to ease the lives of the children after they grow up and for their well being. Some countries have such bans to avoid the troubles that surface out in government databases due to excessively long or awkward names.

I do not at all mean that these rules and regulations are troublesome. But I was surprised that naming a child is also such a big deal out of the house. In side the house though it is always a big deal. So many names, suggestions and meanings and you can pick only one. In my case I felt that I will have different names for my daughter and change the name after regular intervals. I liked the names Saanvi and Geet, sister suggested Srushti and my father liked Srushti. Finally she became Srushti Vipulraj Jain.

No comments:

Post a Comment